We are searching for a versatile Mechanic that can also assist us in the field as needed. So, if you are a “Jack of all trades” type of mechanic, bored with a monotonous day to day grind, check us out.
Did I peak your interest? Good, let’s add some more details:
Location: You will be working out of either our shop in Blaine or St. Paul. We have a tool truck, so you can bounce between the two.
Hours: The hours for this job can be very flexible! However, this position needs to start after noon on weekdays.We can be flexible with a later start time, longer days, weekend work, lunch breaks etc. But, our trucks are out working during the daytime hours, so we need our mechanic in later in the day. Therefore, this job must start after noon during the week. Saturdays and Sunday, you can set your own hours.
Pay: $20 to Start, Overtime pay after 10 hours a day and 40 a week. $2 an hour raise for getting a Class B CDL with Tanker and Air Brakes, and additional $1 – $2 raise for completing Drain and Vac Truck Certification. (raise amounts dependent on performance)
Field Tech Tasks: Once you get settled in with our fleet and have a grasp on how the work day flows, we would like to train you to work in the field as well. We want to do this for a couple of reasons. Number one, we get slammed at times and it would be great to have another guy available. Also, we want you to understand what is done with these vehicles to give you a better idea of why they come to you like they do. And finally, we want you to be able to be on the jobs at times to break things up from the daily grind of wrenching on trucks.
Mechanic Tasks: Perform routine automotive maintenance tasks on our fleet of Service Vans, Water Jet Trucks, and Vac Trucks. Some are Diesel.
For example; fluid changes, tire rotations, transmission flushes, air conditioner re-charges, battery installations, light bulb installations, break jobs, front end work, brake jobs, belt replacement, suspension, hydraulic line replacement, diagnose and repair most aspects of the vehicles as needed. We probably won’t be rebuilding transmissions or engines, but a lot of other stuff.
- You will be required to stay current on any automotive repair trends.
- DOT Inspections.
- Maintain a repair log on all vehicles
- Manage a schedule for maintenance on all vehicles and equipment.
- Test drive vehicles as needed.
- You will be required to keep your work truck and work spaces clean and organized.
- Familiar with and able to operate all auto repair tools
- Position will complete repairs and preventive maintenance on our fleet.
- Will also need to diagnosis and repair electrical, hydraulic, suspension, brake and air systems on vehicles and equipment as needed.
- Utilizes vehicle computer electronics systems to interpret failure modes to initiate or assign repairs.
- Performs service calls for emergency breakdowns.
- Conducts safety checks on vehicles.
Fleet: Currently at McDonough’s we have 11 Service Vans, 7 Water Jet Trucks, 2 Water Jets mounted in Trailers, and 5 Vac Trucks, 1 Flush Truck, and the Mechanic Truck.
Qualifications and Skills
- 2 years relevant work experience preferred
- Knowledge of diagnostic tools and equipment required
- Have a clean driving record
- Pass a background check
- Pass a drug screening
- Pass a basic DOT physical
- Ability to work independently
- Be able to lift fifty pounds above the waist
- Have a positive can-do attitude
- Great work ethic
- Willingness to jump in and help out where needed
- Mechanically inclined, past varied mechanic experience a plus
- Welding experience a plus
- Legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Work history in sewers, drains, construction, plumbing, maintenance, lawn care, snow plowing or similar/related fields is beneficial, make sure you tell us about it.
- Paid Vacation after six months
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Matching Simple IRA
- Smart Phone
- Paid Training for Class B CDL.
Three ways for you to apply: